Free images for websites are widely available on many platforms and stock sites, but before you use one, make sure to understand the pros and cons of using these photos!
If you say you are using free images for websites, you will hear different opinions and comments. Even though these photos are all over the internet and anyone has access to them, sometimes it is not a good idea to use these photos, especially if you are running a huge company or agency. Most big agencies avoid these photos. However, if you are running a small business, if you are preparing a presentation, if you need a high-quality photo to post on your social media, having a few free images at your disposal is not a bad idea at all.
In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of using free images for websites:
- These photos are great for mock-ups – This is probably one of the biggest reasons why creatives use these photos. When you are preparing a presentation, there is no money or time to do your own shoot. It would be a waste of time when you think how many different ideas are presented.
- Free images are a lot cheaper than a photo shoot – In some situations, it may take a few days or weeks to arrange a photo shoot, also it is quite expensive. By using free images for websites, all you have to do is find the right photo and get your client approval.
- Free images are available for a quick download – If you are in a hurry, free images are the perfect solution.
- Free images are not original – The images are never taken with a specific idea or a product in mind. You will see a lot of photos that look similar.
- Free images can be used by anyone – The biggest downside of these photos is the fact that everyone has access to them. This could be a problem for you if you are trying to build a brand identity and it is certainly not good for differentiating and standing out.
- Free images are sometimes seen as a cliche – A lot of people see free images as cliche which is not good if you are selling a unique product or you are trying to build a brand.
Now that you are familiar with the pros and cons, it is up to you to decide whether you want to use free images for websites, blogs, social media or presentations.